Wednesday, September 24, 2008
The Top 10 Interesting Facts About Dating
"The Top 10 Interesting Facts About Dating," by Susan Dunn, Coach and David M. Buss author of The Evolution of Desire: Strategies of Human Mating is a professor of psychology at the Univ. of Michigan. He and his colleagues interviewed over 10,000 people of all ages from 37 cultures worldwide, and his book is full of interesting facts. Here are a few.
1. The divorce rate among couples where the woman makes more than the man is 50% higher than among couples in which the husband earns more.
2. There are 25,000 to 35,000 polygynous marriages in the U.S.,mostly in western states.
The more polygynous the mating system the greater the differences between the sexes in terms of mortality.
Polygynous mating selects for males who take risks. Risk-taking traits lead to successful mating at the expense of a long life, i.e., the biggest buck wins the mating-fight, but will have more trouble feeding himself in a lean winter.
3. The #1 cause of divorce worldwide is infidelity.
4. The #2 cause of divorce worldwide is infertility.
5. The #3 cause of divorce worldwide is unkindness.
This can take the form of emotional and/or physical abuse,and may be the result of infidelity and infertility, or it can be a personality characteristic that is stable over time, involving lack of consideration for others, cruelty,selfishness, and irresponsibility.
6. Worldwide, wives who are less than 20 years old are morethan twice as likely as women who are more than 20 to be killed by a husband in a jealous age, regardless of the age of the husband.
7. 33% of women who have extramarital affairs consider their marriages to be happy, while 56% of men do.
8. Worldwide, women prefer to marry men who are older than they are and vice versa.
In Finland, Sweden and Norway the man is 1-2 years older. In Nigeria, 6.5 years older. In Zambia, 7.5 years older. In the US, men in their 30s prefer a woman 5 years younger; in their 50s, a woman 10-20 years younger. In the US, on average in the first marriage, the man is 3 years older; in the second marriage 5 years older; in the third marriage, 8 years older.
9. For the lifetime, men on average would like to have 18 sex partners, and women, 4 or 5.
10. Remarriage after death or divorce? In the US, 76% of women aged 14-19 remarry; 56% of women aged 30-39; 32% of women aged 40-49; and 12% of women aged 50-75.
(c)Susan trains and certifies EQ coaches. Individualized instruction arranged to accommodate your schedule. NO residency. Training worldwide. Susan offers individual coaching, business programs, Internet courses and ebooks.She is the author of Midlife Dating Survival Manual for Women and It's a Jungle Out There internet course with how-tos for dealing with difficult people.
Thanks for your interest in...